One year ago, I was frustrated and felt depressed. At barely 30, I was losing my hair at a speed I’d never seen before. At first, my hair was slowly getting thinner by the day. I wasn’t very worried, to be honest. But then, at some point, my hair started to fall like dead leaves, and before I knew it, I had visible bald spots on my scalp in my late twenties… I started to avoid the cameras at family parties and felt down looking in the mirror, always bringing my hair styling products with me as my hair looked […]
The Truth About Hair Growth Serums – Do They Really Work, And What Are The Best Ones In 2023?
Every year, billions of euros are spent on serums by men and women trying to fight hair loss and grow their hair back.
But do they really work? And if they do, what are the best ones on the market right now?
Do Hair Growth Serums Really Work? Here’s What Science Tells Us
It might seem strange that applying any kind of serum on the scalp would actually help to grow hair back or help reduce hair loss.
Fortunately, it’s possible to study closely most serums to see how they work. First, let’s look at why exactly some unlucky people tend to deal with hair loss while others don’t.
According to recent studies, it has to do with two common factors:
- Hormonal imbalance leads to an acceleration of the hair growth cycle. Hair follicles that would last 30 to 40 years on a normal scalp shorten their lifespan to 10 or 20 years
- Genes being expressed to further shorten the hair growth cycle – also known as epigenetic expression
In other words, it comes down to hormones and gene expression – directly affecting the length of the hair growth cycle.
Now, let’s look at how serious hair growth serums usually claim to work:
- They may help extend the hair growth cycle through various mechanisms
- They may affect epigenetic expression, leading to the expression of genes associated with hair growth and hair health
This means the science behind hair growth serums is sound, and they do have the potential to grow hair back and fight hair loss. Which means the key question now is – which hair serums actually work based on the mechanism above?
How To Choose A Safe & Effective Hair Growth Serum
Based on our analysis of multiple clinical tests, it seems like effective hair growth serums that offer lasting results all have several characteristics in common:
- They use a clinically tested compound or compounds to help rebalance hormone levels in the scalp
- They’re able to help extend the hair growth cycle in a direct way.
This means the ideal hair growth serum would have to fit all 3 of these criteria above to offer optimal hair growth results.
On a higher level, there are 2 additional things to look for:
- How well the serum is absorbed into the scalp
- How safe the serum is for long-term use, and any potential side effects it may produce
The Results Of My Health Guide’s Definitive Study Of Hair Growth Serums
Based on our detailed research, we have been able to identify 4 hair growth serums that really stand out. We present below in ranked order.
#1 Scandinavian Biolabs’ Bio-Pilixin® Activation Serum
Women’s Bio-Pilixin® Activation SerumCheck Availability For Women
Men’s Bio-Pilixin® Activation SerumCheck Availability For Men
As one of the market leaders in clinically tested, plant-powered hair growth products, Scandinavian Biolabs’ hair serum tops our 2023 ranking.
This is mostly because it’s the only hair growth serum we found that satisfies all 3 of our key hair growth mechanisms.
- Effectively re-balances hair growth factors
- Can help extend the hair growth cycle
- 150-day money-back guarantee
- Slight burning sensation for some users
- Frequently runs out of stock
Here are the key clinical findings of the study, as reported by researchers after 150 days of usage:
- 93.3% of volunteers showed a reduction in hair loss. The average hair loss reduction was 45.75%, with a maximum hair loss reduction of 85.08% (volunteer 26)
- 73.3% of volunteers showed a significant improvement in hair density. Capillary density increased by up to 23.31% after the usage.
- 17.5% increase in the number of hair in the anagen (growth) phase after 150 days. 36.5% decrease in the number of hair in the telogen (rest) phase after usage.
- 80% of volunteers reported a moderate-to-intense hair loss reduction.
- 93.3% of volunteers reported being satisfied with the hair loss usage.
Scandinavian Biolabs’ Bio-Pilixin® Activation Serum is protected by an unmatched 150-day money-back guarantee, reflecting the brand’s confidence in its formula. Their Serum is available in a Men’s version and a Women’s version
#2 EssyNaturals’ Hair Growth Oil
With a strong combination of natural ingredients, EssyNaturals’ serum takes the second spot in our ranking. Its main active ingredient, caffeine, is clinically proven to extend the hair growth cycle, making it an effective ingredient to prevent hair loss.
The addition of nutrients such as castor oil, biotin, and rosemary oil can also help improve hair quality and density, a welcome addition to a hair growth serum.
The formula is lacking in the department of normal balance and hair growth gene expression, for which it doesn’t include any ingredients.
Overall, EssyNaturals’ serum is a solid formula that can help improve overall hair growth and density.
- Caffeine is clinically proven to extend the hair growth cycle
- Natural nutrients can improve hair density
- No ingredients for scalp hormonal re-balance
- No ingredients for hair growth gene expression
#3 Forest & Shore Thrive Hair Oil
Forest & Shore’s serum offers an interesting blend of castor oil, and caffeine, as well as a set of essential oils, to revitalize and preserve damaged hair.
The strength of the formula is the large diversity of ingredients that can work together to repair damaged hair. The caffeine and biotin combination can prove effective at extending the hair growth cycle, a key feature of an effective serum.
What the formula is lacking, however, is the concentration and absorbability of some of the other formulas. It also doesn’t have any effect on hormonal balance or hair growth gene expression.
- Effective at repairing damaged hair with a diverse nutrient blend
- Can extend the hair growth cycle
- No effect on scalp hormonal balance or hair growth gene expression
- Low concentration and absorbability
#4 Grow Gorgeous Intense Hair Growth Serum
Grow Gorgeous is a premium formula for hair growth, combining larch tree extract and green tea as its main ingredients.
The combination of larch tree and green tea proves effective in extending the hair growth cycle. Still, it doesn’t offer any specific benefits for hormonal balance and gene expression in the scalp.
It was one of the most absorbable serums in our ranking which is a nice feature that will improve its effectiveness over time. However, it lacks the strength or larger blend of ingredients of our top 3 products above.
- Effective, concentrated formula to extend the hair growth cycle
- Highly absorbable
- No effect on scalp hormonal balance or hair growth gene expression
- Lack of ingredient strength or diversity
MyHealthGuide uses only trusted sources, including peer-reviewed studies, to support the facts within our articles. Read our editorial process to learn more about how we fact-check and keep our content accurate, reliable, and trustworthy.
- Prospective Efficacy and Safety Study of an Innovative Kerascalp Hair Growth Serum in Mild-to-Moderate Alopecia in India: Regrowth Study
- Serum Vitamin D3 Level in Patients with Female Pattern Hair Loss
- Clinical Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of a Hair Serum Product in Healthy Adult Male and Female Volunteers with Hair Fall
- Comparative Study of the Online Over-The-Counter Hair Loss Products
- Real-World, Open-Label Study of the Efficacy and Safety of a Novel Serum in Androgenetic Alopecia